Friday, February 23, 2007

Need a good movie this weekend? Me, too.

With the Oscars coming this weekend, there is a lot of talk about movies... and a lot to read. I saw a story in the Dallas Morning News about a German movie that is a good bet to win in the Best Foreign Film category. It was called The Lives of Others and I have not seen it so I cannot recommend it.

However, I can recommend the best movie I saw last year... The Illusionist. It is on DVD now and I recommend it. This film about a Victorian era illusionist in Austria is nominated for Best Cinematography this year. Edward Norton plays the lead.

The Prestige, another movie about turn-of-the-century magicians that had a much higher profile director and cast opened weeks later. That film as great, too, and it is also up for Best Cinematography this year.

Either is a great rental for different reasons. I wouldn’t mind owning both. But, if you want a for-sure payoff, go with The Illusionist.

Enjoy.