Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Think Dog Star Media. Think movies!

It's true. Everyone on our video team has a degree in filmmaking. This is great for our clients when we make more sophisticated projects. And, it will come in handy for my blog subscribers when you need to rent a movie.

You can find lots of reviews of movies that are in current release. But, how many times have you walked the aisles in Blockbuster or scanned over your NetFlix checklist wishing you could avoid mistakes. Now you can just sit back... let me entertain you.

Each week, I will recommend a movie from the past that you can find as a rental. This is yet another reason to bookmark my blog and come back here frequently. Don’t just wait for the reminder emails. I’ll always try to give you a good reason to watch these excellent films and shame on you if you rent anything else and it wastes your time.

This weekend, my wife Amy and I went to see Departed. It was really good but not nearly the best work by Martin Scorsese. I really like him as a director and he will probably win Best Director for Departed. Anyone who has seen The Aviator, Goodfellas or Raging Bull knows that this is a make-up call by the Academy. I even enjoyed Gangs of New York more. If you want to appreciate Scorsese like I do, rent the 1989 release New York Stories. Three short films by three New York directors. The films by Coppolla and Woody Allen are great, too, but in my opinion, Scorsese steals the show with his short film Life Lessons.

If you want to feel the frenzy of creativity an artist feels, watch this short film and enjoy the rest of New York Stories. No one uses the soundtrack quite like Scorsese... even Quentin Tarantino. Drop me an email and let me know what you think.

I will have another for you next week.