Monday, March 19, 2007

Back from vacation... why did I bother?

San Antonio is four hours from Dallas. So, a three-day trip to go to SeaWorld didn’t sound that bad. Right? Pardon the cliche... it turned into a Griswold Family Vacation. I will spare you the details.... except this one... the four hour drive turned into eight hours and I had to listen to Blues Clues the whole way down. Thanks, two-year old Ava!

Since I was out a week, here is a week‘s worth of blog-thoughts in a condensed form. I spent the rest of the week with the family hanging around our new home town Frisco. I began to notice how many medi-spas and cosmetic dentists there are here. Literally one or two for every shopping strip center or mid-rise building. I bet I saw about 50 of them in a week.... way too many for the population density. I told Amy... I wonder how many of these will be here in a year. Then, I realized what would proceed those failures. The failing businesses would begin running percentage-off specials (20% or 25% off Botox, etc). Just be warned, it is this sort of behavior that starts to make your service a commodity.... a service that you buy strictly on price because you can get it in so many places.

I advise our clients to stay out of the price wars if they break out and, under no circumstances, do not start a price war. Stay away from a % off sale. If you want to run a special, advertise it as a “Special Price.” If you are in a price war, stop the downhill slide and turn your campaign toward quality.

Two other quick things: sports and movies. Amy got 30 out of 32 on her NCAA bracket and is sitting at 43-4 for the first weekend. At one point, she was #220 in the ESPN Pizza Hut Challenge online. There are about 7 million entries. She goes into the Sweet 16 at about 7500.

And, your movie pick from last week is Inherit The Wind. This 1960 classic will remind you how great Spencer Tracy really was. This week, that title has some special meaning for me, so I recommend that movie to you.