Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So, what should you be doing?

I have had this question on just about every call or email I have had for about two weeks, so I thought it would just be best to broadcast the answer.

In lieu of the last few weeks, I can tell you there are generally three groups of business owners in the market right now. The first is the group who is trying to pick up ground on competitors, the second is maintaining their current marketing and the the third is reacting to the panic by making cuts. People ask me what I am doing. I see things “big picture” and I am trying to pick up ground on competitors. This is because I think it is the wise thing to do when competitors pause or give ground.

There are a few things I learned long ago about cosmetic services. They have been reiterated to me over the years by some very wise surgeons and dentists.

Fact 1: In slow times, people do things to make themselves feel better. In many cases this is cosmetic treatments. If you are experiencing slower business, this is the panic, not the recession. The panic will lift first, bringing about a quicker recovery for you than you will read about on CNN or Fox News. Being aware of this will help you decide not to relinquish any position in the market.

Fact 2: There is business out there, it is just a question of knowing where it is and being in position to react to it. This one is for all of you who have not heeded my recommendations to put in infrastructure... direct marketing driven by databases. It is too late to have those leads in the pipeline if you have not been practicing these techniques. Those of you who have will have an added advantage when the panic subsides. The lesson here is if you are relying solely on mass media advertising and heavy commitments to new patient flow, you can avoid bottoming out in a future downturn by investing in your Circle of Influence.

Fact 3: Buy low, sell high. I am talking about branding and market share here. As the more timid players withdraw, a vacuum is created. You should be stepping into that vacuum. I have been promoting our SEO service for the last two weeks in this blog for a reason. It is one of the best ways you can gain ground quickly as your competitors withdraw. And, in the case of our SEO program, nearly everyone enrolling is cutting their SEO costs because our more focused program is less expensive than their current service. For $300/month plus whatever you want to put into Pay Per Click, you can step into the void of others cutting back.

Fact 4: Fight or die. I am very encouraged to hear the courage in the voices of my clients right now. Sure, no one likes to fight through a slowdown but what is the alternative? Quitting? No one is quitting and everyone is sucking it up. However, in the name of smart decision making, now is the time to make smart strategic moves. Right now, every click and every prospect is valuable because you probably need it. However, once things loosen up, those clicks and prospects will be just as important. I suggest making your fight for them now pay off in the future. I am not suggesting expanding your business, but expanding your influence.

Now, with that said, I should point out that we have three strategies to help with all of this for $300/month or less. They are our Keyword SEO program, my coaching program and The Cosmetic Channel™. The Cosmetic Channel now comes with web video, in-office DVDs and email marketing and at $240/month is the best impact in the short term. In addition, we are offering to spread the payments for web upgrades over several months so ambitious clients can reduce their short-term risk to make smart upgrades in the vacuum created by their more timid competitors.

Our goal is to make these programs available to you now when your competitors may be retreating. And, be advised, their marketing advisers are probably telling them the same thing. Things are reshuffling in your market, the stronger players are going to make smart moves to take advantage. I hope you hear this message and that you are that strong player. If you want to put in some of this infrastructure, please email me at donald@dogstarmedia.com.