Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The End of Free

This week, I have heard a lot about the fits and starts of the economy in my coaching appointments. With only a few notable examples, it seems that everybody is just seeing fewer searches, calls and consults. It’s a lot like the short slow down a lot of the market saw in May earlier this year.

However, yesterday, it was announced that consumer spending was up in July. Clearly, there is little pattern as the economy staggers forward. Even more clear is the fact that old established cycles are not emerging like they have in years past. So, being out of our comfortable patterns, it is important to avoid counterproductive choices just to keep your business rolling.

One way to do this is to eliminate the word FREE from your business vocabulary.

I am writing this today at the end of a summer-long promotion where we gave away four minutes of web drop video with each HTML/Flash web site. So, you see, I am as guilty as anyone who has recently “free” elements in selling new business. However, after reviewing the results, I have decided to take a stand against “free” and go back to what I know is an important marketing point: That being that “free” really conveys no value.

We had several new web sites sold this summer as part of our FREE web drop video promotion. The offer got a lot of conversations started and some web sites signed on. However, in the course of all the sales conversations about web sites, I determined that the free offer, although it was good for starting the conversation, was not a determining factor in whether or not the client chose to do their new web site with Dog Star Media. There might have been an isolated case here or there where this was a determining factor but I think overall, it was not.

I’m glad that those who bought on the special are getting this upgrade because I strongly believe that web drop video is one of the most competitive tools out there for a web site and that all cosmetic practices should have it on their site. However, I wonder if in doing a Free Video promotion, if I undercut the value of this for everyone else who is considering it. This is something you should consider when designing your marketing promotions. Many people who receive something for free never appreciate the true value of that service or object.

So, with the special ending today, I want to encourage all of you to reconsider what, if anything, you are giving away for free. Look at your patients and the responses you are getting and ask yourself if you are undercutting the value of some of your services by throwing them in as free. It is a hard habit to break so, I am going to go first here. When the free video special ends today... so does my use of free promotions. I will shoot them down with coaching clients when I see them and I will not be practicing them

So, let me tell you about the most valuable tool you can add to your web site if you are a cosmetic dentist or cosmetic surgeon. It is a video web drop. It is high value. Our price for such video, under my expert direction, is $1200/finished minute. And it is worth every penny.

If you are interested in adding video of yourself talking on your web site, please email me at donald@dogstarmedia.com.